Sunday, June 16, 2013

If They Don't Fit...Change Them

Thrift shopping is always a good route to take if you are willing to put a little extra time and effort into making them your style for considerably cheap!



Take for instance these high waisted black jeans we found at our neighboring Goodwill. The flared style with rhinestones should remain in whatever time period they apparently were in trend with, however I did love the color for it resembled closely to a pair of black mom jeans I had seen in TopShop. I knew with some of my sister's sewing magic these unflattering jeans could be reinvented to match my style.


We started off by turning the jeans inside out, and while wearing them, Anne pinned the outside of the legs to fit appropriately to my legs. Carefully taking them off my legs, (just for your safety it is best if you are able to place the pins away from your body, that way when you take them off you don't injure yourself) we kept them inside out as Anne whisked them away to the sewing machine. 


She then took a Sharpie and marked a line along the pin line to create an easy to follow guide as she sewed it together. She went along the side seam, serging up the side to create a new line that matched the sharpie line she previously created. 


Once one side was done she folded the pants and flattened them out as much as she could in order to allow for a consistent line that coincided with the one that she had made on the other side. She then repeated the same procedure she had done on the previous leg.


After this was done she then asked me to put on the pants once again to get my measurements for my inseam (remembering to keep the pants inside out). The process of pinning began again, safely removing the pants and returning to the sewing machine. Pinning the inseam is an easier process then the outside, making it a simpler task to fit the sides accordingly to the owner of the jeans. The sharpie lines are done to both sides before the serge is made at the edge on the seam.



Finally in order to get rid of the pesky sequined bottom of the pants I asked her to hem the bottom of the jeans to give them a rolled effect. To match both legs we found it easiest to find the length you want on the jeans and then measure from the inseam starting from the crotch and going to the end of the leg and they were complete! 



I paired the jeans with some strappy sandals and a fringed sleeveless top accessorizing with a chunky bracelet. These jeans will now be my go to this summer having just the right length to debut all my cute shoes and form fitted exactly to my body. Affordable has never looked so good.





3 comments:

  1. I love this ladies! :D I wish I had some sewing abilities so that I could do this here at home. You're too far away to help me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Good job!

    Wanna follow each others blogs maybe? Let me know! :)
    http://velvetavenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete