Sunday, June 23, 2013

Lazy Sunday

Saying it was a lazy Sunday may be the exaggeration of the century, but we all needed it. After all our crazy, hectic, fun-in-the-sun activities we found it best on all of us if we just took it easy today and had some good ole' fashioned R&R. Though rest was scheduled on the agenda for today I took it upon myself to get a little crafty as well.

I took today as the day I was going to do my own DIY. Even though I am not creative enough to recreate something out of nothing I still have the ability to destroy something into the way I want. I know this sounds counterproductive, but in order to make distressed jeans you need to take apart what was already well made.


I had these pair of capris for quite some time now and have wanted to get some holes in them for a while and decided today was the day. The only tools I used were scissors, a nail file and tweezers. I chose where I wanted my holes and cut the slits depending on how wide and long I wished to have them. For this part I suggest using a good pair of fabric scissors and try to make the cuts as straight as possible (I found it the easiest this was and then pull on the fabric at the end to get the jagged edge you want.



Once I created the holes I took the tweezers and began tugging on the thread that was threaded into the jeans from top to bottom, this way the strings of the jeans would thin out and create that one long threaded look. I repeated this from one side of the cut to the other. Once completed I took the nail file and filed down the edges to give it that faded, destroyed look I intended to create.






This took me a long time because I tried to take my time to keep as many of the strings to remain attatched, and although it wasn't exactly how I imagined it I am happy with the outcome. I think that the dull plain look has disappeared and replaced with a trend that has been seen for quite some time now. It feels good to know that I was able to take a pair of clothing and make it my own instead of relying on Anne, proving that anyone can change their clothing if they are bored with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment